Lauren shares her culture by cooking something classic.
Lauren and her partner are both customers and they use food as a way to combine and share cultures. They both bring different dishes and recipes that we grew up having; she shares lasagna something her mom always makes and he shares traditional Yemeni cuisine. We think her recipe is perfect for couples or anyone who meal preps!
Photos taken by Lauren
Created by Lauren
- 1.5 lb. Bessie ground beef
- half of an onion
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 heaping tablespoon of fresh basil (and extra for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic power or garlic salt
- 1 can of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 12-16 lasagna noodles
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 pint part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 lb. mozzarella cheese
- Large bowl
- Sheet pan
- Cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet
- Receive your Bessie Box delivery.
- Defrost your ground beef.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, onion and garlic for 5-7 mins; drain fat. Mix in basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic powder/salt brown sugar, salt, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce (if using), and tomato paste. Simmer for 30-45 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook for 8-10 mins, or until al dente. Drain. Lay noodles flat on towel to dry.
- In a medium bowl, mix eggs, ricotta, parmesan, parsley and 1 tsp salt.
- Layer 1/3 of lasagna noodles in the bottom of a 4x13 baking dish. Cover noodles with 1/2 ricotta mixture and 1/2 sauce. Repeat. Top with the remaining noodles and cover heavily with mozzarella. Customize it: add as much or little cheese between each layer. Lauren likes the top layer to be crunch so she adds all of her mozzarella to the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
Classic Bessie Box | Order today to get your ground beef!
Recipes | Check out more Bessie recipes