This Latin American, no-cook salmon dish will delight any guest.
Barton Seaver is a chef, author and speaker who is at the forefront of sustainable seafood. You can find his love of food, community and sustainability in his books: Where There's Smoke: Simple, Sustainable, Delicious Grilling and Fish: Recipes from the Sea.
SALMON CEVICHE WITH DILL
Created by Barton Seaver from Two If by Sea.
- 1-1/4 pounds Bessie salmon, diced into 1/2 -inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 slice fresh ginger
- 1-1/4 cups fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 fresh chili pepper, such as Fresno or serrano, very thinly sliced or cut into batons
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 large red onion, very thinly sliced (about 2 cups) and rinsed briefly under cold water
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Cutting board
- Receive your Bessie Box delivery.
- Defrost your Bessie salmon.
- Lightly season the diced salmon with salt and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Dip the fish in a bowl of cold water to rinse off the salt. Pat dry.
- Rub the sides of a bowl with the garlic and fresh ginger to aromatize it; drop the garlic and ginger into the bowl.
- Add the lime juice, vinegar, chili, and oregano, and season with salt. Stir to dissolve the salt and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove the garlic and ginger and discard. Add the salmon and toss to thoroughly coat. Let sit 15 minutes.
- Add the onion and mix well, taking care not to break up the fish. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the celery and dill. Toss to combine and divide among individual dishes, spooning any remaining juices over the dishes.
- Grate some nutmeg over the top of each dish and serve immediately.