Can a frozen steak be cooked without defrosting it? Alex investigates.
We did a deep dive into America's Test Kitchen frozen steak video (read our breakdown here) and we learned a lot about how to cook frozen steak to medium rare perfection. As soon as you get your Bessie order, you can preheat your oven, take a your steak out of the packaging and have a delicious steak in 30 minutes.
FROZEN STEAK WITH GARLIC BUTTER
Created by America's Test Kitchen
- 1 or 2 Bessie steaks. We used New York Strips
- Vegetable oil or any other oil with a high smoke point
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano, chopped
- Rimmed baking pan
- Tongs (to flip steaks)
- Receive your Bessie Box delivery.
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Heat up your skillet until it’s very hot add a liberal amount of oil – enough so that the frozen steak is making contact with the oil at all times.
- Sear steak in skillet for 90 seconds per side to brown both sides.
- Transfer to a walled baking sheet and into the 275°F oven
- Cook 18 - 20 mins per side for 1-inch thick steak (or until internal temp is 125°F)
- Make the garlic compound: Mix butter, garlic, and fresh chopped herbs.
- Slather compound on top of steaks and cover in aluminium foil and wait for butter to melt before thinly slicing. Use as much butter as you’d like, we used a tablespoon per steak.
- Let steak rest for 5- 7 minutes. (Resting is personal preference, it makes the steaks juicier but you’ll also lose some of the char on the outside as it softens up.)
- Sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
Enjoy! Want to learn more about cooking frozen steaks? Read our blogpost.