Tasty, easy and approachable—this tuna recipe is a must-try.
Jamie Oliver is a world-renowned chef who is known for his easy recipes and for fighting for healthy food for kids. Founder, Alex, tried this recipe and according to him "It's hard to go wrong with a combination of soy, lemon, chili, ginger–you can try this with any seared fish. This recipe is so good.
We decided to make ours without cilantro!
ASIAN SEARED TUNA
Created by Jamie Oliver
- 6 oz Bessie ahi tuna steak
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- olive oil
- sesame oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon low-salt soy sauce
- ½ lemon
- 3 sprigs of fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 spring onion
- fresh red chili
- Cutting board
- Tongs (for flipping tuna)
- Mixing bowl
Searing the Ahi Tuna
- Receive your Bessie Box delivery
- Defrost your tuna out of the packaging
- Cut steaks into 3 cm chunks.
- Place sesame seeds onto a tray and add the tuna chunks. Flip them over until nicely coated on all sides.
- Begin heating olive oil and sesame oil on the same pan.
- Peel and thinly slice garlic and most of them to the pan. The remaining garlic will be used to season the dressing. Fry garlic until golden (1-2 minutes).
- Remove the golden garlic from the pan WITHOUT removing the oil (we used a slotted spoon) and transfer onto a plate.
- Return pan to heat and sear tuna in your garlicky oil. Sear for just 10-20 seconds per side. (Note: your tuna will be raw in the centre, that’s what we’re looking for!)
To Make the Asian Dressing
- Peel and grate ginger.
- Add ginger to a bowl with soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, and the remaining garlic. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and then stir to combine. Add more lemon juice to taste.
- Finely slice a spring onion or scallion and set aside.
- Cut your seared tuna into slices (1 cm thick).
- Drizzle Asian dressing and garlic chips on top, red chili, cilantro leaves, finely sliced scallion, and a drizzle of olive oil to finish.