Steak and pasta? This meal will satisfy all of your tastebuds.
What do you get when you combine an app and a foodie website? The best dinner ever. Spencer pulled together a recipe from TikTok and Bon Appetit and came up with this dreamy meal. Not only does it take less than 30 minutes but, it is so tasty. You can make this easily with the ingredients in your fridge—and if you don't have something feel free to substitute it for something else.
BROWN BUTTER-BASTED STEAK WITH EASY CARBONARA
- Bessie steak
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Flaky sea salt
- 10 ounces of spaghetti
- 2 slices of bacon
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of parmigiano reggiano
- 1/4 cup of pecorino
- Cast iron skillet
- Pan (optional)
Brown Butter-Basted Steak
- Receive your Bessie Box delivery.
- Defrost your Bessie steak.
- Season steak generously with kosher salt and pepper and let sit at room temperature 1 hour.
- Heat a dry large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high, then add oil. As soon as oil is smoking, cook steak, turning every 2 minutes or so, until a deep brown crust forms and the internal temperature is a few degrees below your favoured doneness (120°–125° for medium-rare), 8–10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the onions to the pot. Cook, stirring from time to time, until the onions have softened and turn golden, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and, using a wooden spoon, stir, scraping up all the browned bits (fond) off the bottom of the pot.
- Add butter, rosemary, and garlic to skillet, tilt pan toward you so that butter pools on one side, and use a large spoon to continually baste steak with butter. Continue until butter is no longer bubbling and it smells nutty and is beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Transfer meat to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. (For medium-rare, your steak should reach an internal temperature of 125°–130°.)
- Cut meat from bone and slice against the grain 1" thick. Spoon some infused brown butter over steak and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Boil water (make sure to generously salt the water).
- Slice bacon.
- In your cast iron or another pan, cook the bacon until it's crispy. Turn the burner off.
- Put spaghetti in water and cook for 10 - 11 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, parmigiano reggiano, pecorino and freshly ground pepper.
- Reserve one cup of pasta water, drain the cooked spaghetti and toss it in the pan with the bacon.
- Add the egg yolk mixture, a splash of pasta water and toss until all spaghetti noodles are coated.