Mark shares a recipe for an unusual cut.
This recipe comes from Enrique Olvera who is a world renowned chef. He owns 15 restaurants with two (Pujol in Mexico and Cosme in New York) holding positions on the World's Best Restaurant list. In his book, Tu Casa Mi Casa, he explores the foundations of Mexican cooking and flavours. This recipe is the best thing to bring people together.
BEEF TONGUE TACOS
Created by Enrique Olvera and Luis Arellano in Tu Casa Mi Casa: Mexican Recipes for the Home Cook Book
- ½ lb. Bessie beef tongue
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 ancho chiles, seeded
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Key lime wedges, for serving
- Large pot
- In a large pot, combine the tongue, onion, garlic, bay leaves, coriander seeds, and ancho chiles. Add water to cover by at least 1 inch.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Add the salt. Note: Mark cooked it for 3 hours and it was still delicious.
- Remove from the heat and let the tongue rest in the liquid for 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle but still hot, remove the tongue from the liquid and peel the outer layer with your hands. Cut the tongue into 1-inch pieces
- Set out the tongue along with separate bowls of cilantro, onion and key limes. Set out the tortillas and let everyone assemble their own tacos.