What is COVID-19 (novel coronavirus)?
- A large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. Novel coronavirus is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans.
What are the symptoms?
Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. If you develop cold or flu-like symptoms, especially after travelling, please contact 811 for assistance.
How does it spread?
- Primarily, transmission of the virus spreads between people who are in close contact with each other. It is believed that the virus can spread through contaminated surfaces as well.
How can I prevent it?
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing.
- Avoid close contact with anyone that has cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces.
- Stay at home if you have cold or flu-like symptoms.
Visit the Government of Canada website for more information.